Monday, August 25, 2014

Foul weather experience

We had a few rainy days this summer. So I went to SL to catch the sun. I found it, but I also found the worst virtual weather I've ever experienced. However, it all started beautifully. Somewhere in Folkvang...
Smooth sailing in the sunset
I accidentally found the viking ship, and when I hopped on, it (the ship) asked me if I wanted to go on a journey. I accepted and a whole story unfolded before my eyes. A true story of a viking journey.
The ravens cage
The attention to detail was quite unique. The ship had cargo covered with blankets or cow-hides,  barrels with I-dunno-what plus sheep and then there was the cage for the obligatory raven. The vikings used the raven to find the course to land - if they got lost at sea. Release it and see where it goes.
Arriving somewhere
So, I just sat there... the story was rather lengthy but interesting. However, the scenery was amazing. In fact it was so overwhelming, I'll admit I was too busy looking and taking pics to catch all the details of the story.
Waves
The waves were amazing too. They are difficult to catch on fotos in RL; They're even more difficult to catch in SL, but they're a pretty big deal. The SL waters may look watery and wet, but in fact they're flat as a pancake. Here, they had me worried. The waves.
Quiet night
Just as in RL the wind eased a bit at night, so here's a shot upwards. Pretty. Pretty realistic and pretty sleep inducing. It was so nice, but it wasn't gonna last...
Gaaaaah
This is what woke me up. It is - by very far - the worst virtual weather I have ever experienced. Lightning struck more than once near the boat. The wind picked up and closed in on storm. The waves grew taller and taller while heavy rain filled the air... Foul weather indeed.
Where's my horn
After a hefty night this was the morning... fog. Loads of it and thick too. Quite exciting in that scary way. Ahh, but not that scary. After all I kinda knew I wouldn't meet Emma Maersk or any of her siblings. That's comforting. Still, I had no horn and no charts... Hmm...
Land!
Staring at the horizon some 50 meters ahead expecting anything can be exhausting. Here, I finally saw some rocks. Good? Bad? Dunno yet. 
Let's find land
After a while the sun broke through and it was time to test the raven. Here she is... flying, circling, looking for land, and after a few minutes she took off. I followed.
Ahh, yes... the sun is back
Not much to see. I mean, - no land. The sun was up though, and that always helps cheering me up. Happily I splashed forward in the same direction. The Raven was out of sight, but finally...
LAND !!
Finally. This chalcky rock appeared and I knew the journey was about to end. Not with me being lost at sea, but with me landing somewhere... presumably nice. Maybe there'd be a pub nearby, so I could get a beer. I won't tell. Go check the journey yourself... it all begins somewhere in Folkvang.

Update: Yes, all pictures are 100% true and unmanipulated screenshots.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Noodle says hi and behave :-)

(Please leave an identifiable name when commenting)